Here are some resources to help you make a lien claim or report a theft of a boat. It is important to do so as it deters the movement of the boat among criminals.
For starters, you can post a boat lien here https://boat-alert.com/post-a-claim-of-lien-on-a-boat/ and here https://marineliens.com/
and report a stolen boat here https://boat-alert.com/report-stolen-boat/
TIPS TO AVOID BUYING A STOLEN BOAT
- Make sure the HIN exactly matches the HIN listed on the registration and/or title.
- If the vessel is registered or titled as a “home-built boat,” it should have no manufacturer brand markings.
- Carefully review the vessel and its ownership paperwork for these fraud indicators:
- The boat has been rebuilt.
- The boat has been previously reported stolen, sunk or recovered.
- The title or proof of ownership is a duplicate issue or from out of state.
- Registration numbers appear altered or are not uniform.
- The asking price is well below the market value – if the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.
- Do not purchase any vessel if the seller is unable to produce title or proof of ownership.
TIPS TO KEEP YOUR BOAT AFLOAT – AWAY FROM THIEVES
- Install a kill switch in the ignition system.
- Install an alarm system especially designed for boats.
- Secure your boat to the dock with a locked steel cable.
- Use a trailer hitch lock after parking your boat on its trailer.
- Park your trailer in a locked garage, secured boat storage facility or well-lit fenced area.
- Park the trailer so that the hitch is difficult to reach.
- Use a high-quality chain and lock to secure your boat and trailer to a fixed object, such as a tree.
- Chain and lock detachable outboard motors to the boat.
- Be sure your marine insurance policy includes not only the boat, but also your equipment and trailer.
- Keep a copy of your registration and boat title in a safe place.
Other links you can try: https://www.boatman.com/ http://www.stolenboats.ca/ Your local state will have a form you can fill out your local police will be able to file a report https://www.nicb.org/sites/files/2017-10/BoatTheft.pdf Call 800.TEL.NICB (800.835.6422) https://stolen911.com/ https://stolenboats.info/ http://www.marineinsureservices.com/Stolen.html